Connecting the Dots...in the Horse World

Posted by Sharon Labels: , ,

Horse people are all connected in some way - usually through horses. Throughout the years, there have been many examples of this and I am never shocked. In fact, it always gives me an unexpectd lift, kind of confirms who I am.

Take the case of the recipient mare, Ten (named for the number on her halter). The young sorrel mare was one of several mares bought by the veterinarian doing the embryo transfer from my Rooster mare. She was chosen for no other reason than the timing of her cycle to carry my mare's baby.

When I picked up both mares, the vet told me he thought Ten was a registered mare and that he would look into that. I promptly forgot the conversation. sometime in the winter, Ten's papers arrived in the mail. I absentmindedly looked at them . . . then looked again. I knew her grandsire very well - I had put some training on him! And I once owned Ten's great granddam!

Another example...

This past winter a lady contacted me to book her mare for training in the spring. In the course of the conversation, she mentioned she had an old Arabian gelding.

"Nero's a Spanish Arab," she said.

"I trained and showed a Spanish Arabian stallion many years ago," I replied. Then I stopped. I felt the hairs on my arms starting to prickle like the time I realized my cousin was sitting across from me in my own house and neither one of us knew it (a whole other story). Nero?

"Where did you say you got him," I asked. When she told me, I knew. Nero was the son of the stallion I rode. Not only that, I had handled the stallion when his dam was bred, the breeding that resulted in Nero. I had later conditioned Nero for sale , took him to the sale and delivered him to his new owner - the lady my client had bought him from.

I did not know my prospective client, who lived many miles from me. I still have not met her in person, but she said right from the beginning that something had led her to me. Maybe it was an old gelding named Nero, son of Nino Hermoso, the stallion I reined in 1992!

I'm sure many of you have a story like these. I would love it if you shared your story on my blog. Hoping to hear from you...

2 comments:

  1. Verna

    The first thing I check every Monday is your blog. I'm thinking you are talking about Classy Bar Doc and his dam, Perrin's Classy (old enough to still allow an apostrophe in her name)...?

    Also remember the Arab you reined. Must have seen him at your Crooked River place as I don't recall seeing him in competition.

    Yes, by all means, send me some books - as many as you like. And yes, Jack Nielson called about one. Is there anyway to save you some postage by having them sent directly from the printer....??

    Was it June that we talked about some time ago having written a book? Jack mentioned you received a copy. The gals at the library asked about one of your aunts' books - believe it was Doris Hanke. Anyway, are there any copies available for sale?

  1. Sharon

    I thought you would pick that up about Classy Bar Doc and Perrin,s Classy! The Arabian you remember is probably Mo (a grey gelding I mentioned in my book). The one I am talking about here is a stallion I reined in BC.

    I thought Mr. Neilson's name was John? Better get that straight. I got a copy from Henry of all people! He was in Osoyoos for the winter and found it in the wine store, bought it and sent it to me. He didn't know it was my aunt - he just recognized names. I have talked to Lynne (my cousin) and she is going to get some to Beechy. At this time, the only place to get a book is from her. You probably should phone me about this if you want more info.

    I am waiting for an order of my books. Hopefully it will be here this week. I doubt that I can send directly to you, but I will ask. How many do you want?