Believe in Love

Posted by Sharon Labels: , , , ,

I believe for every drop of rain that falls, a flower grows.
I believe that somewhere in the darkest night, a candle glows
.

I committed to posting a blog every Monday, and I start thinking about what I will write a few days before that, but last week I could not put anything together. Not for lack of topics - Valentine’s Day, the Olympics - but I needed something else… Then, Saturday evening, the phone rang.

It was not good news. A friend of mine had just buried her mare – her companion, her confidante, her heart. We talked about her mare, about horses we had lost and about how we cope with losing one. We philosophized a little, looking for answers, I suppose, and comfort. Then we discussed the fantastic opening ceremonies for the 2010 Olympics. I think we even mentioned Valentine’s Day.

After I hung up, I searched for a connection between these three events, the significance of Valentine’s Day, the Olympics and the death of a special horse. Two words came to mind – “Believe” and “Love” from the first two events – and how those two words applied to the third.

We do not doubt our love for our horses but are horses capable of that emotion? Many will scoff at that idea, but I believe (there’s that word again) horses can love… and they do. They love other horses and they love people. The stable mate of my friend’s mare calls out for her companion; she waits by the barn door head down, eyes dim. She is in mourning. I remember another story of a beautiful young mare in acute pain with colic, that lifted her head one last time and whinnied for the girl she loved when she came to say goodbye. And so many stories of affection from my horses on a day-to-day basis.

So, to use a very old phrase, “I believe in love”, pure and simple. And not just a man/woman love, but the broader context. I believe my animals, especially my horses, love – each other and me, and I believe Olympic athletes love their sport more than they love the win.

It will be months before my friend can remember her mare without shedding tears, years before a month goes by with no thought of her friend, but she believes she is part of bigger picture now. She takes comfort in that and in remembering the love of a kind companion.

And I'm holding on when it gets rough
'Cause you can get through most anything
If you just believe.~ Suzie McNeil

0 comments: