Christmas Letters

Posted by Sharon Labels: ,

With Christmas only a few days away, I am mailing the last Christmas letters. "The letter" is a new tradition, one that come of age with the age of computers and desktop publishing. Years ago I wrote all letters to friends in long hand and it was with some reluctance that I gave the practice up. Time commitments and the infinite possiblities of computer-generated newsletters finally convinced me - 2010 will be the 13th one I have sent out! Still, I feel the polished letter with colour photos has lost the personal touch of the handwritten one...

As I drafted the 2010 version of the annual saga of my ongoing activities I questioned the content. How many people really wanted to read yet another list of Sharon's activities? I did want to inform people of what was going on in my life but I didn't want the letter to smack of personal accomplishments that was actually boring to others. Yet I wanted everyone to know that I was enthusiastic about my life. How to do that... That's part of what was lost in the individual handwritten letter - writing only what would be interesting to that person in a tone that was appropriate to that person. The nature of the mega-copied letter I mail out now is, by its definition, more like a newpaper than a letter. To "fix" that flaw and to ease my mind, I left a large blank space on the last page for my own handwritten personal notes.

And the letter itself? Well, it took on a new format in my effort to be more interesting. I have tried many themes in the past - the animals reviewing the year, a recipe and, last year, 65 things I was grateful for - but this theme is a first. My Christmas letter this year is written as a play complete with a list of players, settings and dialogue. I know absolutely nothing about writing plays so there was a learning curve but hopefully it is not judged, just enjoyed.

I'm just receiving letters and cards myself. In the last mail I picked up a card from a very good friend of mine. Inside was a three page handwritten letter. I read it three times and I'll read it again in the holidays. Well-written, informative, charming and personal. Although I appreciate every Christmas contact of any kind - gifts, cards, photocopied letters or emailed ones - this letter will probably be the highlight of the season. Penny is an extremely busy wife, mother, homemaker, career woman and all around caregiver to her family and animals and she took the time to write. Not type. She took out a pen and paper and wrote three pages to me in her own handwriting. Thank you, my friend.

2 comments:

  1. Verna

    Don't know how I missed this part of your blog (Dec. 14 issue)...perhaps it was because of the supper being prepared for Haywire's 70th and Vance's 38th birthdays. Not sure. Your blog is generally the first place I look on a Monday. Oh yeah, the 14th was a Tuesday. Perhaps part of the reason. Another part was likely the (estimated) 3/10" rain we received, and the fact that Brooks and I ate supper (slightly late), followed by Darcy and Clay (following his hockey practice), and finally Allan, Vance and Austin (about 8:30) after pulling the semi and partially loaded triaxle trailer from the highway by the Doctor's house, home. The two gooseneck loads Allan and Darcy had gathered locally, to be loaded on the triaxle, and the partial load, all got to have a sleepover in the +5 corrals. Highway 4 was temporarily closed and the group was destined for Heartland in Swift Current. I'm sure Granny slept better, too, knowing Vance was no longer on the icy road. For whatever reason, I missed your blog, until now. Well done, again!

  1. Sharon

    I too, did not read my blog. I missed your comment until today, when I am going to post another entry. It can't be because I was so busy over Christmas since it's only me and the animals...
    Sounds like you have had some quite terrible highway conditions with the rain. I know how you must worry when Vance is on the road in bad weather.
    Hope you had a great Christmas.