Their Pain is Our Shame

Posted by Sharon Labels: , , , ,

I thought I had a bad day yesterday. The thought that I had been pushing to the back of my mind all winter - that I would soon have to make that final trip to the vet with my dog - had hit me full force. For the past few months, I have been carrying Kirby (a Samoyed female) in and out of the house, settling her on a soft bed to soothe her old bones. I prepare special meals for her, rub her ears and give her hugs (which she gives me back). The night before last I bathed her. She fussed at first in the tub, but eventually relaxed. I think she most of all liked the fact that I was spending time with her. She is blind and this once-independent animal now depends on me for life. I am glad to do that for her and, thankfully, she does not know any different. Not every animal is so lucky.

I said I thought I had a bad day yesterday. That's because today was worse. This morning, on Facebook, I learned of the slaughter of 100 sled dogs in Whistler BC. A few graphic details were included - enough for me to visualize a horrific, bloody scene - and even a video (which I have not watched). My stomach churned and I became physically ill. I could not get the picture of the dogs out of my mind - their terror, the owner who had betrayed them. And my mind went back to other stories of animal cruelty. Even in my chosen field - reining - I see and hear of cruel practices, practices that point out to me that the rider does not consider his horse capable of feelings. Imagine how I feel when that horse is one I raised!

I can say with absolute certainty that I cannot even begin to understand the mind that believes that treating an animal with anything other than respect and empathy. Any animal - wild or tame - is a living, breathing, thinking being - with a soul!

I also believe that this kind of mind could also harm another human being. If life means that little, nothing will stop it.

I didn't really have a bad day yesterday after all. I still have Kirby and I will continue to care for her as long as I possibly can and as long as she is not in pain. I wish I had not opened up Facebook this morning and read this story, but I did; I wish I could do something about this but I can't; I wish I was proud to be part of the human race right now, but I'm not. The pain of those beautiful dogs is our shame.

0 comments: