The Italian Connection

Posted by Sharon Labels:

Since my post last week about Florence, I can't get Italy off of my mind – the time I spent there, the experiences I had, the people I met. Since the subjects of Ridin', Reinin' and Writin' posts are whatever random things stick in my head or what’s near and dear to my heart, the topic of this post had already been chosen.
With that in mind, I started looking for the journal I kept while I was in Italy - the only time I’ve journaled in my life. It would be inspiration for my Monday blog post.

Although that quest didn't lead me to the journal , it did offer several hours of nostalgia . . . and inspiraton for many more posts. Everything that has sentimental value to me I keep in one trunk and that’s where I looked for the journal which, as I said, I didn’t find (I'm quite sure it will turn up). What I did find was a lot of memories – scrapbooks, photos, diary, baby books and blankets, dolls, toys, and much more . . . and a small leather binder holding a few letters I received when I was in Italy – one from each of my daughters and two more...

I met Matt and Rose Hassen shortly after I moved to Armstrong. I was trying to make a living training horses but, since I was new to the area, I worked at other jobs as well to make ends meet. One such job was housekeeping and/or gardening. That’s how I met Matt and Rose.

Although I was employed by this lovely couple, I soon became much more than hired help and they became more than my employers. Rose immediately took me under her wing and the bond became stronger when we discovered that they had lost a daughter born the same year I was born, also named ‘Sharon’!

Every time I worked there, they insisted I stay for dinner. We became fast friends. Rose and I visited easily but it took me longer to be at ease with Matt. It was my opportunity to go to Italy that revealed the good soul under that gruff demeanor. They both encouraged me to take advantage of the opportunity and insisted I take an interest-free loan from them so I could. I was reminded again of their generosity and kindness  last night as I re-read the two letters I found my trunk of memories, the ones they had written to me while I was in Italy.

I was surprised and touched that Matt had written as well as Rose - not only a note, but a really good letter. He refers several times to a letter I had written to them. One remark (or advice?) I find particularly on point (maybe in response to my disappointment at a reining show there?):
You know that in spite of your best efforts there will be times when your mount will not be in the best of spirits or health at a crucial time and thus will not answer and obey as you know he is capable of doing – or being.”
Matt writes about looking up where I was living and what it was like when he was stationed there in WWII (not too far from where I was). Since I could still see reminders of a war-torn Italy on my rides in the mountains (yes - I did that there too!), it kind of sent chills through me – and a better understanding of why Matt seemed brusque.

A portion of Matt's letter - note the reference to the war and the oxen. Reference to 1980 is of their visit that year.
One of the monuments to the soldiers (date 1944) along side of the trail I rode to the top of the mountain
The view from the top of a mountain in Italy. I found an old cannon here - a remnant of war-torn Italy.
Matt and Rose both write of watching out for my daughter, Lana, who had just graduated and was “on her own” and both, in the second letter, tell me they will not cash the cheque I sent them until I get home. ("In case I needed it.") Money was always a problem for me and they knew it...

I do not have even one photo of Matt and Rose or her garden of roses. I can’t imagine how that happened but it doesn’t matter. I have these two letters, very clear pictures in my mind and better still, a warm feeling in my heart that will last as long as I do. Miss you, my friends.

1 comments:

  1. Verna

    Here we go again - as stated in my email, it is windy here today and I'm playing catch-up with pictures of places we've visited. Guess what - more on Florence - Arizona, that is.