A Message from a Facebook Friend

Posted by Sharon Labels: , ,

I never know for sure where I am going to get an idea for my Monday blog (which is late this week). Most times something in my life, on the news, or in the horse world inspires me, but this week was different. An email from Germany got me thinking...

I was away last weekend at the 100 Mile Sliders Horse Bazaar with my two stallions and though I brought my laptop with good intentions of writing for this blog, I didn't even open it. When I got home Sunday evening, I checked my email. There were several redirected from Facebook, most of which I deleted right away. One, however, caught my attention - a girl in Germany had read my post on AQHA regarding pasture breeding. Apparently that led to her checking out my Facebook photos and Wildwood Reining Horses web site and prompted her to send me a message:

"I love, love love everything about it. Reading about you and looking at your pictures takes away the fear of getting older," she wrote

Wow! That's really interesting! I have several reasons for posting photos on my web site and Facebook, but not once did I intend to be a poster child for growing old. However, if my life as presented through my web page and Facebook truly did take away the fear of aging, then that makes me happy. She's right. I am not afraid of the years stacking up - dismayed sometimes that they go by so fast, but not afraid. I suppose I live my life the same as I did twenty, thirty or forty years ago and that is what shows in my writing and in the photos. That too, will change in time, but I will adjust.

I do not connect with any Facebook people I do not actually know or consider a friend. I might have to rethink that, especially since my German friend tells me I made her break her own rule about only adding people she knows in real life when she contacted me!

2 comments:

  1. Verna

    Another great job, Sharon. I'm sure you could create some "interesting scribbles" about the fall roundup at Beechy pasture (when you run out of your own ideas). I'm thinking particularly of 1)jingling of horses in the dark (probably wiser than the later years when they shivered in a little pen all night and promptly sacked us out when we saddled); 2) the oil cans/stones experiences; 3)the wrecks with calves at the springs and the gates; 4)closing gates that should have been left open, or not; 5)the all-female crew that were warned not to come looking for the boss if "he" lagged behind; 6)the pay for the long hours (including the fact that some of us might have even paid to ride; 7)the snow banks at the door of the little house; 8)the windburns, sunburns and frost bite over the course of very few days; and 9)your account wouldn't be complete without mention of the delicious meals you always served. Just food for thought...

  1. Sharon

    Thanks for reminding me of all these things. A couple of them are mentioned in the book, which, by the way, I have a copy of now and an order on the way!
    I could probably write a whole book on those Community Pasture experiences, but I would need some help calling them to mind. There may have been a few I would like to forge, too. I do not remember the snowbank thing at all!