What a Difference a Day Makes

Posted by Sharon Labels: , , , ,

Although I believe that the only one who motivates me must be me, sometimes my focus slips a little. Working by myself as I do, preparing three year old futurity horses in less than ideal conditions then competing against reiners with indoor arenas, it's possible to get discouraged. Then I need a push to get on track again.

Early in the winter of 2009, in my snow blanketed arena, I started riding my two year old stallion, Walking With Wolves. I knew I must start him if he was to be ready for 2010 futuries. Schooling was sporadic and somewhat dangerous to both of us in the icy outdoors but, by spring, he had a few rides on him. He was a handful, though - a young stallion with a mind of his own! I struggled through bratty behaviour until, by fall, he had leaped ahead in his training to a point where I thought he had caught up to those who had had the advantage of indoor arenas. Then winter arrived in December (Boy! Did it ever!) and he had a whole month off. "Not a problem." I thought. "One month off is okay."

In January I started riding him again. He had regressed, mostly in the "attention span" area and now I could not do as much with him. Since I was using only one end of the arena, I was restricted to one big circle and everything I could do on that circle (I can be very inventive!). Still not discouraged when the circle got icy, I changed to the snowy end of the arena. Of course sliding plates were out of the question, so my now-three-year-old reining prospect had not yet stopped - really stopped and slid - and he wouldn't for some time. That's the way training continued for January and half of February, when riding came to an abrupt halt. Unusually warm weather had melted enough snow that water ran across my arena . . . and froze the next day and stayed that way for two weeks. Now I could not ride at all.

In March, my arena still not usable, I started riding the young stud down my sandy road, which had bared off. Of course I was more limited than ever on what I could do, but at least he was back under saddle. But how was I going to have him ready for reining futurities five months away? My confidence and, along with it, my focus and motivation, slipped a little... That's when an unexpected push in the right direction came from a reconnection with an old friend. Vern Sapergia, my mentor of years past, agreed to teach a clinic at my place! It was exactly what I needed.
One day I was frustrated; the next I was pumped and ready. What a difference a day makes! With renewed hope for my extremely talented, but woefully behind-in-his-training futurity prospect, I am again motivated to be the best we can be when we enter the pen for the first time in August.
Vern's clinic is slated for April 16-18 at Wildwood Reining Horses. It will be like old times, riding all day and chewing over the day's events in the evening. I can't wait.

2 comments:

  1. Verna

    Good luck with your clinic. That is, and will be, quite a motivator. Wish we were closer incase you need a dishwasher or stall mucker! va

  1. Sharon

    Do I ever wish I could take advantage of that offer! I'm a bit overwhelmed at the moment - a lot of stuff happening in the next month.