Women and Horses

Posted by Sharon Labels: , , , ,


What is it about women and their horses? I just spent a wonderful weekend in Armstrong visiting with girlfriends. What did we talk about most of the time? Horses, of course.

I had hauled my broodmare to the vet clinic for breeding. In a once-in-a-lifetime decision, I booked her to Wimpys Little Step, the #1 NRHA reining stallion in 2009. Prima, a daughter of Gallo Del Cielo (another leading sire of reining horses), is the dam of my two stallions, Running With Wolves and Walking With Wolves. She is also the dam of Wildwood Liberty, successfully shown last year as a three year old. The prospective offspring of this mating was a hot topic of conversation over coffee, in the barns and during a night out in a local restaurant. What else did we talk about? We talked about horses we owned, horses we had once owned, horse accidents we had, training methods, clinics we had attended and, most importantly, the connection we felt to our horses.

I hauled my 3 year old stallion and a yearling colt with me to Armstrong. The colt (sired by Running With Wolves) was hitching a ride to the coast to the barn of a Working Cowhorse trainer. When I dropped him off for the next leg of his journey, the young mother and I talked at length about breeding, cowhorses, barrel racing for at least an hour. She is a barrel racer - or so I thought - that is now riding Working Cowhorse. I asked her if she has given up barrel racing.

"Not really," she said, "because my kids are going to barrel race. We are going all directions now." Her husband ropes...

I drove back to my friend's place to unhitch the trailer and check on my young stallion in a stall in her barn. He had already buddied a little with the senior Arabian mare of my friend's, a mare she had raised and of course felt a deep affection for.

"She still misses PJ," Mae said (She lost PJ last winter.) Mae  misses PJ too...

"I'll be back to ride Little Wolf before we go out to dinner," I told Mae, and I was. After a whirlwind tour of a garden center, a fabric center (for show shirt material!), and two western stores, more "horse talk" with a sales girl who reins and a quick ride on Little Wolf, four of us met for dinner. What a great evening spent with women who love their horses!

The next day I drove to Mandy's farm to teach a lesson and see the Running With Wolves two year olds she had bought as weanlings. How wonderful to have sold to such a loving home! (Sable is pictured with Mandy at the beginning of this blog.) Mandy was preparing for a clinic at her place and was unbelievably busy - but not too busy to talk horses! We definitely understand each other's affection for these four legged animals!

At 2:00 PM I met Rick and Cindy from the south Okanagan, who had driven up to visit with me ... and watch me ride Little Wolf. After the ride Mae called us in for coffee. For the next two hours, we chatted about our horses, past horse experiences and plans for a "horsey" future.

"I thought I could live without horses," Rick said, "but I was wrong." A serious heart attack and a change of lifestyle had not deterred him. He was back riding and he asked me to send him photos of a yearling.

The last evening in Armstrong I spent with Mae and Leslie (who is recovering from a horse wreck - a broken collar bone and four ribs!) We watched two DVDs I had brought - Wildwood promotional tape and a joyful short film of new foals I had made from footage I had gathered over the years.

The next morning, I picked up a mare to take back with me for breeding and started the long drive home. I had lots to think about - all those conversations with people with like interests.

"I have a lot of really good friends who love their horses, " I thought. "That's the way it should be."

2 comments:

  1. Verna

    Sounds like you had another great and hectic weekend...and brought back "more work" (material, gardening supplies, mare to breed, etc. etc.) Did you have decent traveling weather? It has been the pits here but shouldn't complain about moisture of any kind. Since our first April shower (on the 13th), we have had 4.25" of rain and 7+" of really wet snow. I spent nearly 6 hours in the saddle last Saturday, and wasn't dressed nearly warm enough so had an extra spike of passion for the new babes. Every time I turned Gunner around to head back out to an iffy-protected grassy slough nearly a mile west, his body language said, "you can't be serious!!???" It was a very windy day with snow showers periodically. The guys had gone out there with the tractor and bales to lure the cows closer to slad fences and portable windbreaks. Most of them followed, but about 20 stayed behind with their calves, or just didn't want to trek north into that weather. Some were pairs and there were a few calves whose mothers knew where they were bedded down and at that moment just thought of their stomachs. Vance came back with the quad and we got most of them herded in the direction of home. Some calves ran back (you know all about that!) and we just let them - as if there were a choice. I rode back to get their eartag numbers, rode in and cut out the moms, sent them down the alley. They knew why, and willingly continued west, so I was able to get the four wanted moms with no difficulty. By this time they knew the locations of both feed and babies so all was well. Vance had to bring one new guy in on the quad. We didn't know if he was a twin or ??? An old cow had recently lost a calf and she willingly took him as her own. The next morning, a full bag revealed who 'might' be the birth mom, and sure enough. He is well looked after now and gets nourishment from both. Vance has 72 calves to date with over 100 yet to come so it might be advantageous to keep both cows milking incase of more casualties.
    So much for my life. Hope all was well when you returned to the Chilcotin.

  1. Sharon

    You may have had cold miserable riding on Saturday, Verna, but I'm sure you felt pretty happy about checking the new babies and keeping them safe! That's riding with a purpose! Not that your horse would understand that!
    Yes, I remember well how the calves would hang back in the herd, then run back as fast as they could to where they had last sucked. Not sure if I could really call that "stupid"...
    My travelling weather was good, but it's still unsettled here. Had snow while I was gone and it's taill cold. All was well at home when I returned.
    Hopefully your weather straighens up soon. You must love the moisture though. We could use more too.