Spreading Myself Too Thin

Posted by Sharon Labels: , ,

"You're spreading yourself a little thin, aren't you?" my neighbour said last Monday as he watched me load mares to take to the vet clinic in Williams Lake for ultrasounds. Since I had just returned from a show in Kamloops a few hours before, I can see why he said that. As noted, that was a week ago and things have not slowed down much. In the ensuing few days, besides regular chores, I bred mares, tilled and hoed my garden, coped with a leaking washing machine, gave a few riding lessons and rode my reining horses every day. Tomorrow morning, I am loading three horses for a show in Prince George.

I do sometimes put too many jobs into a day. And sometimes that kind of planning catches up with me. At the Kamloops reining show, I planned to pick up my broodmare at the clinic the other side of Salmon Arm on Sunday morning. I had a class yet on Wolf, but I thought I had time to make the trip and still get back to show. I rode Wolf at 5:00 AM (I was the only person up!), fed him and pulled out of the grounds at 7:00. When I returned with the mare, the NRHA representative met me.

"I assume you scratched this class," he said.

"No, I did not," I replied. "Why?"

"Because it is almost ready to start!"

The next 15 minutes were a blur. I ran for Wolf, saddled, put on a long sleeved shirt and a hat (no chaps), and headed for the warmup pen. Two horses had already run. I would like to report that I won the class or something, but not so. It was an expensive schooling run.

My neighbour was right - I spread myself pretty thin sometimes . . . and sometimes I pay the price. I'm going to fix that this weekend...

2 comments:

  1. Verna

    You know what they say about looking after the "caregiver"...that goes for you too!

    And how in heck did you find time to update your blog? As usual, it is the first thing I check out.

    PS Helped Gordie Thorpe chase his cows to pasture on Sunday (actually, John Arntsen, Allan and I did the chasing as Gordie drove the pilot truck) and I sold him a book.

  1. Unknown

    Oh Sharon, you do spread yourself pretty thin! But you seem to get it all accomplished somehow. Good luck at the show; make sure to find time to relax and enjoy it a little too!