To Sell or Not To Sell...

Posted by Sharon Labels: ,

That is the question! (Sorry, Shakespeare, for the rough paraphrase...) When it comes to selling my horses, sometimes I don't know the answer.

"You must find it hard to sell your horses," a friend remarked just the other day. Indeed, I do - especially those I have trained and ridden. That many hours in the company of an animal forms a bond. It doesn't matter how many horses I train, each one is an individual deserving of my respect and attention. I have been with most since they were born. Many times I was the first living thing they saw - even before their mother! I witnessed their first steps, their first meal. I watched them play, discover the world. I haltered them the first time, encouraged them to follow me and not be afraid. I picked up their feet, trimmed them, treated their "owies" and then, at two years old, I saddled and bitted them for the first time. My weight was the first weight they felt on their backs, the first person they carried. Each learned to listen for "good girl" or "good boy", words from my mouth. They looked to me for confidence when they entered the show arena or walked down a new trail in the bush. And of course they looked to me to bring them feed and fill their water troughs. Is it hard to sell my horses? Yes.

But I am in the business of raising and selling horses, so sell I must. Sometimes I am not a good business woman - every horse is not for sale; I have bought horses back to be with me; I have turned down good offers because I didn't want to part with one of my horses. Do I regret that? No. Do I sometimes regret selling one of my horses? Yes.

Most times, though, I am very happy with my horse's new home. I recently sold Wildwood Splendor, a mare I originally intended to keep for a Working Cowhorse. She is going to a young man I coached many years ago, a family man with a kind heart. Splendor will be well cared for, loved, and used, which is a good thing because I did not have time for her here. When I saw him ride her, I knew his was the right home.


Still, it's easier to sell my horses before I have ridden them, spent all those hours on their backs. It's a little easier to see a weanling or yearling leave my yard because I have only spent a short time with those. To sell or not to sell - that is the question, one I have to answer when I offer one of my horses for sale ... and live with my decision.

3 comments:

  1. Verna

    I hear ya!!! Even had tears with Brooks yesterday as he sold his 4H steer, although "rationally" I know steers have a job to do - feed the world - and his job was done. I miss the abundance of horses around but don't miss "the parting with them". At the moment my brain is telling me that it must get harder with age (our age, that is). Am I correct?

    Good job, again. Have an envelope on my cupboard to send you, a cheque for Gordie Thorpe's book. Allan has blood tests first thing tomorrow morning so he can get it in the mail. Then we're going to help Keith Taylor round up and brand. Haven't been there for years - since the days when he would run in a few colts to geld, etc. etc. Wonder if anything has changed.

    Saw Amy Cates (Kyle Times gal) at Frontier Days yesterday and showed her your book "that I just happened to have in my camera bag". Something twigged with her and she said, "I talked to Sharon, and have a note on the board, but can't recall what was decided." She knows I have books if she wants some....

  1. Sharon

    You're right, Verna. Parting with one of my herd does seem to be harder now. I also worry more about them, find it harder to leave them in someone else's care. I can certainly understand the tears over selling a steer too, though I have never been down that road.
    How is Jake doing with the books? I talked to Carl Anderson and he thought he only had two left. Sold a dozen at the last show, but other than that, I have not got time to pursue this now. I emailed Amy and she wants a photo with the press release. When I get one taken I will send.
    Say hello to Keith and Eleanor for me...

  1. Unknown

    I finished your book today, it was wonderful. Dave kept stealing it from me to read so it was lucky I went away for a week so he could finish it. We feel even better for deciding to buy Wildwood Splendor after reading your life story, I had alot of tears in my eyes (DAve said he didn't but no one was around to witness:) Thanks you for your wonderful comments, she will have a loving home with three little boys just waiting to ride her one day!