Never "Just a Dog..."

Posted by Sharon Labels: , , ,

I am deviating from the title of this blog . . . or maybe not. I guess it could come under the "writin'" category. Every Monday, I write about what has been most on my mind during the week and this time is no different. Dogs have been uppermost in my thoughts, specifically dogs that have been a part of my life. There's a reason for that. My Samoyed, Kirby, is not getting around well and I know I will have to make that tough decision soon. That fact has brought up memories of some very special canine friends.

1. Chummy. I don't remember Chummy very well - only vague memories of my brother and I playing with her. What made a big impact was her death. My brother and I found her lying on the grass very still and, of course, ran to Mom. There was no explanation for why she died. This is Chummy lying beside Dad holding me on Tex.

2. Duke. This golden cocker spanial male was our childhood buddy. Wherever we were, Duke was not far away. Mom could always find us that way! I remember most him playing hide and seek with us. He would wait until we hid, then come and find us. Oddly enough, I do not know how he died, but he was with us a long time. Photo below (Why am I scowling?) was in Saskatchewan, the next is in BC.

3. Tuffy. This little black terrier cross was a bundle of energy. The story I remember most is how he learned to "Go to the house." Apparently, Mom and Dad had rounded up a bunch of yearlings and were trying to get them through a gate into the barn yard. As yearlings usually are, they were plenty spooky and it was all Mom and Dad could do to hold them together at the gate to start pushing them through. That's when Tuffy appeared . . . and would not "go to the house" as Mom ordered him to do. Of course, they lost the yearlings who scattered. Furious, Mom chased Tuffy on horseback (with Dad telling her to stop or she was going to fall on the slippery, icy ground) until Tuffy didn't know where else to go BUT the house. After that, anyone could tell him to "go to the house" and he tucked his tail between his legs and left.

Mom taught Tuffy mutiple tricks and I taught him one - to "sing" Doggie in the Window with me. I played guitar and sang the lyrics; at the appropriate time, Tuffy barked. Really cute. I thought I had a picture of this somewhere, but I can't find it. We had Tuffy many, many years - until he was old and grey. I believe he was killed by a car after I left home.


4. Hind. I inherited this border collie with the strange name when I married. Hind was my husband's cattle dog, but we very quickly became attached. My very favourite story about Hind is the time he disappeared from my parents' ranch where my husband and I lived for the winter months in 1964-65. When my husband could not find him anywhere, he started thinking about the last time he had seen him.

"I was checking a cow with a new calf on the other side of the lake yesterday," he said, "I told him to lie down and stay..." And that's where Hind was - still lying down in the grass where he had been told to "stay".

At two years old, Hind was already a great cattle dog. He was going to be fantastic, but his life was cut short when he chased a rabbit into the path of a car. When I was told, my mind could not take it in. Another dog lived on the ranch and I think I thought that was the one who was killed. Only when I repeated the news to my husband, did I comprehend. Photo below is Hind with our young son. It is the only photo I could find of this wonderful, kind, intelligent and gentle dog.

Losing Hind devastated me and I did not get another dog for a few years. When I did, I bought a Samoyed puppy. I have had Samoyeds ever since.

To be continued next week - Samoyeds in my life.

2 comments:

  1. Verna

    Without the questions of our middle grandson, I may not have thought of dogs this week. However, Brooks asked me about the dogs we had before Tucker, and we recounted all the poodles that came before....does that count?!!!

    Cool here today. I rode up to Hunter's to see if the neighbours had taken their heifer home. Not. I had moved her from the yearling field to another of Vance's fields on Saturday. Haywire said, "Did you check the dam?" My reply was "No, but I left them a message for them as to where she was." The sleet (and snow) kinda' stung my eyes going north but wanted the ride anyway, and knew it would be much nicer coming home. The heifer was still there to be put over the drop gate, which happened...and it was good to head south. A hot shower and hot tea later, it's time to watch "Dancing with the stars" and update the dayplanner so I will know on Tuesday what I did on Monday.

  1. Sharon

    Thanks for posting, Verna. I think it does count that you were talking about all the poodles you have had - kind of the same thought. I am going to lose Kirby soon and really would like another Sam but have had no luck finding one that I can afford. I just got my email and one of the breeders I contacted last summer has found an unregistered litter! Cross your fingers - I really want this puppy!
    Sounds like you had a cold ride! It's still pretty nice here. Froze hard last night, but still dry and not too bad in the day. Hope it holds for a few days yet.