Everything Happens for a Reason

Posted by Sharon Labels: , , ,

Since it's Thanksgiving, I would remiss if I did not remember what I have to be thankful for. Having just returned from a less-than-stellar weekend at the Canadian Supreme, where my financial plan went up in flames at the horse sale and Wolf's only run in the Derby did not place, it could be easy to wallow a little in my disappointment. I admit watching everyone pull away on Sunday night while I camped alone by the barn, discovering the next morning that I had driven away from a box containing four wool saddle blankets when I re-parked my outfit for the night (the blankets were gone the next morning) and driving 1100 kilometers home with only my thoughts for company, snuffed out any euphoric thoughts I might have had but I "dug deeper" and started driving . Monday evening I stopped at Jim and Lorene's in Clearwater to break the trip up.

"I gave one filly away and brought the other one back," I told him. We unloaded Wolf and Mistral (the gorgeous filly I didn't sell) and it was then that Jim said something that I have reminded myself of ever since.

"Everything happens for a reason," he said. "There's a reason you still have Mistral."

The next day I, as I drove the last 350 kilometers home, I felt better. I thought how glad I was that I did not have mechanical issues for the entire trip; I re-lived dinner with my children and grandchildren in Red Deer (definitely a high-point!); I day-dreamed about the trail rides I would take in 2011... And I thought about the fall work waiting for me. I tried not to think about the lost saddle blankets.

I am thankful - thankful that I can still see my way to feed my four-legged friends for another year; thankful that, though I can't work the long days I used to and I "sore up", I can still manage the strenuous physical tasks (like cutting firewood, putting in posts, and cleaning pens); thankful for family, friends and neighours; and thankful for the honest Albertan who picked up my box of saddle blankets!

I didn't stuff myself with turkey or even see anyone yesterday, but I ate roast beef and garden fresh veggies in front of the fire and talked to my daughter on the phone. At the end of the day, more posts were in the ground, more potatoes and carrots were out of the ground, more pens were cleaned and Sapphire (my two year old) was back under saddle. Now that is something to be thankful for!

As far as Mistral goes - I'm still waiting for the reason I still own her, but I know there is one!

2 comments:

  1. Verna

    No earth-shattering comments, but just couldn't 'not' comment...on your friend Jim's statement. That was one of Mom's - "everything happens for a reason", and while the reason isn't immediately obvious, it eventually does rear its head. In the same vein as your Mistral story, we took two young horses to the West Central Sale in Kindersley and ended up bringing them home. One was Piper, Allan's heading horse for years and now he packs the kids around on stove-up limbs. The other was Deana, Pipe's full sister, and my heading horse. Vance won his saddle riding her. We put her down a few years ago. We were often thankful they didn't sell! va

  1. Sharon

    There you go, Verna... a reason for everything! Your mom was right!! Although I sometimes question my "horse decisions", I have to go with what feels right. As one lady here said, " I don't know why you put her in the sale anyway. I thought you would keep her!" I hope Mistral's story ends as happily as Piper's and Deana's...