A Peace in their Presence

Posted by Sharon Labels: ,

Although late morning, the air holds a chill - after all it is still March - and the rails I lean on are slippery with frost. Not a breathe of breeze stirs the towering tops of the Douglas firs but I can hear the soft twitterings of a few birds in the branches. I look down at the river, frozen yet, so still now, so swift in the summer. I turn my face to the sun to soak up the welcome warmth.

Is the deep sense of tranquillity I am feeling born of these surroundings? I ponder that for a moment ... until I look into the eyes of my favourite mare, Silk, standing in the sun on the other side of those slippery, frosty rails. I know then that the peace settling into my body emanates from her and the other two other mares beside her. One by one, all three come to the fence; one by one, they each gently touch me with their nose. I look around me - all my horses, in pens around the yard, emit off that same quiet energy.

I've often said that I love where I live because it is so peaceful, but in fact, it probably doesn't matter where I call home. Since I have always had and always will have horses living with me, I will always know that serenity if I am aware because it is they who provide that. Of course I have always known that but this morning I felt the shroud of peace - as real and tangible as the horses themselves.

"It's simple enough," I think. "There is peace in their presence." 

2 comments:

  1. Bronwen Belenkie

    It's amazing how much peace you can find within when you are really true to yourself and follow your bliss - way beyond the monetary and status gain. It's a balance many wish for, but aren't brave enough to find or pursue. I see that strength in you and it's inspiring. No matter where you are, there you are. Thank you for sharing.

  1. Sharon

    Thank you for this comment, Bronwen! I had great difficulty putting how I felt into words, but I see you got it. Absolutely loved your phrase (Where you are, there you are!" Wish I had coined that one!