"There's a Love Knot in my Lariat"

Posted by Sharon Labels: , , , ,

It’s my mom and dad’s anniversary today. Almost every year, I remember – not the wedding of course since I arrived five and a half years later – but the occasion. Living as we did, on a working ranch in Saskatchewan, there were plenty of other things to think about in July but, every year, mom and dad celebrated their special day in some way, even if it was just a family dinner.

Mom and dad were married on the Diamond Dot Ranch in the open air under fledgling poplars that would one day obscure the dugout behind them. Under a gentle breeze, with family around them, they said their vows, loved and laughed, and danced the night away under the stars to the music of the Schroeder family. From that moment on, “There’s a Love Knot in my Lariat” became mom and dad’s song.

Slim and Florence Gates on thier wedding day - July 25, 1938

Twenty-five years later, my parents celebrated their Silver Anniversary in the same place - the Diamond Dot Ranch. The poplars had grown to towering heights and the old ranch house, although it still stood, had been replaced by a new log house. Dad butchered a beef, dug a pit to barbecue it in and constructed a wood dance floor. Mom cooked, baked and planned. When the day came, so did relatives and friends and they all reminisced, laughed and, just as they did twenty-five years before, danced until the wee hours of the morning under a starry prairie sky. Again, the Schroeders provided the music and, of course, sang “There’s a Love Knot in my Lariat”! This time, though, my brother and I celebrated with them. When morning came, no one could find Dad and Mom. After a little searching, they came out of hiding...

"After everyone went to bed," Mom said, "I realized we did not have a place to sleep, so we rolled out sleeping bags on bales of hay stored in the old ranch house." Perfect.

Slim and Florence Gates on their 25th Anniversary

Harold and I would celebrate another landmark anniversary with Mom and Dad - their 40th. This time I baked and decorated the cake and joined a representative of the Schroeder family with my guitar to sing, once again, "There's a Love Knot in my Lariat". They had retired and were living in Beechy then, having passed the Diamond Dot on to Harold. Though much had changed, their commitment to each other had not. With family, including grandchildren around them, they celebrated, once again, July 25th.

Slim and Florence Gates on their 40th Anniversary

I can only hope that, somehow, some way, Dad and Mom are hearing, once again (maybe with the harps of angels?), "There's a Love Knot in my Lariat". Miss you both...

3 comments:

  1. Verna

    Your post served as a reminder...this is Vance and Darcy's anniversary too. Thanks!!!

  1. Sharon

    I don't think I quite believe you forgot Vance and Darcy's anniversary! Not like you at all.

  1. Mae

    What wonderfull memories Sharon!And good for you in keeping those memories alive!