Changes

Posted by Sharon Labels: , ,

“Nothing in the world is permanent and we’re foolish when we ask anything to last, but surely we’re still more foolish not to take delight in it while we have it. If change is of the essence of existence one would have thought it only sensible to make it the premise of our philosophy.” ~ W. Somerset Maugham

Nope. Nothing is the world is permanent . . . and I am changing one element of my life that had become almost permanent. As of August 1, 2011, I am no longer showing reining horses.

For most of my life, I have competed in the horse world, first barrel racing, then, for the last 31 years, reining.Now it's time – time to slow down, time to do other things with my horses, time to see more of my family, time to quit hauling to reining shows. Not a decision to be made lightly but a decision that had to be made just the same. This is how it all went down…

For the last three years, I have considered stepping down but, with two stallions to promote and (I must admit) a love of the sport, I continued to haul to three or four shows a year. Living alone as I do, with full responsibility of the entire operation – breeding, training, caring for and managing the horses – the actual execution of packing up for a show had become a little overwhelming. Still, because it is what I do, I planned for two reining shows in 2011 and told my friends I did not know if I would compete at any others. I hauled both stallions to Prince George the end of June for the show there. A month later, I loaded the boys again for Armstrong, arriving safely but tired.

Watching the show with Mischa.
On the second day of the show, I knew that show would be my last. I still was one of the last to leave the arena at night and one of the first in the morning, but reduced sleep and unforgiving heat was taking its toll. I was not in my best “show mode”. I lost my appetite and leg cramps hampered me in the first run on Walking With Wolves in the Derby.

Walking With Wolves and I in Armstrong

Working out the cramp, I mounted Running With Wolves for his Derby run and ran reining pattern #9 with all the determination and drive I could muster. After the final stop, I leaned down and stroked Wolf"s neck and whispered "thank you" even though he had incurred a major penalty. Wolf, as he always does, strode to the judges, ears up and eager. As I dismounted for the bit check, I looked at them and said, “I have something to tell you.” They looked a little confused.

“That was my last competitive run,” I explained, “ and you, Morgan (Morgan Lybbert was one of the judges) competed in the same class as I did in my first reining show at Saskatchewan Stakes and Futurities in 1980! This is somehow fitting…”

Running With Wolves and I in the Derby at Armstrong.

Competing has always been a struggle for me, but somehow I kept doing it. Most of this time, I trained and travelled by myself; most of those years, I didn't have an indoor arena so I rode in the wind, rain and snow; I trained reining horses without benefit of sliding ground a large percentage of time! But I brought many three-year-olds to their first futurity and, although I seldom won, they didn't disappoint me either . . . and they were around for many years, sound of mind and body, to pack others around the pen. One rather interesting fact only just occurred to me: In 31 years of reining, I never showed a horse trained by someone else! I think I am rather proud of that!

I know one thing for sure - I must find something to fill the void. I need excitement in my life and I need to do something exciting with my horses! I'm thinking more trail riding (Ididn't have enough time to trail ride when I showed!) but I have a few other ideas too. I'll still be riding, breeding quality reining horses (4 coming next spring) and still training. I've just taken competing out of my schedule.

Saying it makes it real. Yes, I love to rein and I love to show my reining horses (See Somerset Maughn's quote re: "...foolish not to take delight..."). Will I miss the reining pen? Of course. Was it hard to quit? Unbelievably difficult. And scary… But, in the words of Erica Jong,

I have accepted fear as a part of life - specifically the fear of change... I have gone ahead despite the pounding in the heart that says: turn back...”

It's not written in stone...
*******

Photo credit for all photos: John Woods

4 comments:

  1. Verna

    I am so proud of you for making this very difficult decision, and yes, it is time for you to TAKE TIME FOR YOURSELF!! I hope a visit to Beechy is in the cards soon.

    Although it is a much different realm, we're still making decisions simultaneously. I told the rodeo committee it was my last year to time...hope to enjoy the rodeo this year. Having the best seat in the house only means you get to see flagmen and judges. Not sure of the years but it is something I've done since I quit competing. Was very lucky to have an excellent co-worker in Deanie Ringrose. On many, many occasions over the years, the hundredth of a second watches were identical, including idential matches with the electric eye (something I never quite understood considering the human error of both flagmen and timers). We were always lucky enough to give the announcer the time without radical "averaging of watches", and the really big thing was that we never missed anyone's run. On that note, I advised the committee it had been a great run that was completed in 2010. There does come a time, and when enjoyment is still a big part of the equation, that time has arrived.

    Good luck with your continuing endeavours, and enjoy them to the fullest.

  1. Sharon

    Your comment brought tears to my eyes... It was a difficult desision as, I am sure, your decision to step down from timing was. As for taking care of myself: I hope so. When asked what I will do with my time now, I say, "All the things I didn't get done when I was reining!"
    And I do plan to visit Beechy soon.

  1. Isabella

    Sharon
    I wish we had met 30 years ago. You have a lot of wisdom that has not been handed to you easily. There is much I would like to sit down and talk to you you about. Life-, reining, Life.... you have so much to offer. You deserve to devote some time to you. You live in an absolute paradise. Maybe you will consider offering up your expertise in reining in another format...coaching? Sitting on a committee? ....? Your quite confidence, your relationship with your horses (and animals in general),say so much about who you are as a person.
    The reining world will miss you. I know for me personally, I will feel a void at the shows without you there...

  1. Sharon

    So we didn't meet 30 years ago - it's not too late. By all means, drop in and we'll talk!
    I am still coaching but I've done the committee, association, Board of Directors thing...
    Thank you for your kind words.